Child Height Calculator. It’s one of the most common questions asked by the mothers: How tall will my child be? Usually we predicate the height of children according to mother’s and father’s height. The traditional formula used for height is to add mothers and father’s height plus five inches for a boy and minus five inches for a baby girl, and divide it by two. A child height calculator helps you to find out how tall your child is likely to be at age 18.
However, this formula gives correct results but environmental issues can come into play as well. I am mentioning four surprising factors which can affect the height of your child.
Factors That Affect Height of Your Child
- Sleep- Not many parents know but a child should get the recommended nine to ten hours of shut-eye every night for proper growth. The scientific reason behind this fact is that ‘the biggest secretion of growth hormone occurs while a child is asleep—almost two-thirds of what the body produces daily’. Less sleep could ultimately lead to shortened adult height. So, if you want your child to be tall, get him/her into bed early.
- Steroid intake– Now all parents know that the intake of steroid can stun growth of a child. Various studies prove that even inhalation of steroid can impact a child’s adult height.
- Prolong illness- There are many diseases that could affect a child’s height, such as Turner Syndrome, Gigantism and Dwarfism. These are mostly genetic disorders which a child gets through his/her parents DNA. Premature babies also have their height affected in adulthood.
- ADHD Medications- ADHD (Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) medicines and other stimulants such as Ritalin can result in growth delay in kids.
- Diet- Obesity can trigger early puberty and we all know that once puberty is complete, kids will not grow any taller. A balanced diet of fresh produce, dairy, and lean protein helps kids maintain a healthy weight which further helps them to reach their full genetically determined height.
- Health of mother during pregnancy- The mother’s health during pregnancy is also plays a very important role in determining the height of a child. A child’s growth will be affected if the mother gets a poor diet during pregnancy or consumes substances such as alcohol and nicotine or any other drugs.
Parents concerned about their child’s height should ponder upon the above mentioned points and consult their doctors if needed.
You can predicate your child’s height with Child Height Calculator.